The other ArtCharms Halloween swap was a max 1-1/2″ charm with a moo card. A moo card is 1″x3″ and created like an artist trading card.
I went with beaded spiders. There are lots of tutorials on the internet. This is the one I used: http://www.shawkl.com/2011/09/beaded-spider-tutorial.html by Kathy Shaw. I altered the size by adjusting 1) the size of the body and head and 2) the number of bugle beads on the legs.
This spider has about an 8mm bead for the body and 2mm for the head (maybe an E bead?). Two black bugle beads and 3 red seed beads make-up each leg on 24 ga. wire. Another piece of 24 ga. wire was used for the body. I put a spiral on one end, added the body bead, strung the legs, then added the head bead. A wrapped loop is where a jumpring is added. Position the legs and I think I just made the 1-1/2″ max size.
Mom wanted me to show her how I did this, so from her stash, we took a hemalyke bead and a green bead (about a #6 seed bead) for the body and some iridescent bugle beads and green seed beads for the legs. I don’t have a picture, but the cool thing about this one is that it sticks to the fridge. Hemalyke is magnetic.
When I took the photo of my spiders, I thought it would be fun to make it look like they were crawling on webbing. Not so much. It got caught in all of the little spirals at the end of the legs. Took awhile to get it all off. Also, some of the legs were a little loose, so I thought it would be a grand idea to superglue the legs near the body. Again, not so much. The superglue fume created a white residue on the glass beads. It actually looked good, but I didn’t want it rubbing off on anyone’s clothing. Instead, I rubbed it off with a toothbrush. It did come off, but what a pain in the neck. Luckily, there were only a dozen of them.
Here is the moo card; yes, I cut all of those little spiders out by hand. Besides my Dremel, my other go-to tool are my Fiskars Softouch Micro-Tip Scissors. They get into all the little nooks and crannies.